By Leon N Cooper,Dmitri Feldman
Named a most sensible 5 booklet of 2011 through Physics Today, USA.
The BCS thought of superconductivity constructed in 1957 by means of Bardeen, Cooper and Schrieffer has been remarkably winning in explaining the homes of superconductors. furthermore, recommendations from BCS were integrated into various fields of physics, from nuclear physics and dense quark subject to the present average version. sensible purposes contain SQUIDs, magnetic resonance imaging, superconducting electronics and the transmission of electrical energy. This beneficial ebook is a compilation of either a ancient account and a dialogue of the present country of idea and experiment.
With contributions from many well-known scientists, it goals to introduce scholars and researchers to the origins, the effect and the present kingdom of the BCS theory.
- Historical Perspectives:
- Remembrance of Superconductivity earlier (L N Cooper)
- The highway to BCS (J R Schrieffer)
- Development of ideas in Superconductivity (J Bardeen)
- Failed Theories of Superconductivity (J Schmalian)
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and the BCS concept (C P Slichter)
- Superconductivity: From Electron interplay to Nuclear Supefluidity (D Pines)
- Developing BCS principles within the Former Soviet Union (L P Gor'kov)
- BCS: The medical “Love of My lifestyles” (P W Anderson)
- Fluctuations, Tunneling and Disorder:
- SQUIDs: Then and Now (J Clarke)
- Resistance in Superconductors (B I Halperin et al.)
- Cooper Pair Breaking (P Fulde)
- Superconductor-Insulator Transitions (A M Goldman)
- Novel stages of Vortices in Superconductors (P Le Doussal)
- Breaking Translational Invariance via inhabitants Imbalance: The Fulde–Ferrell–Larkin–Ovchinnikov States (G Zwicknagl & J Wosnitza)
- New Superconductors:
- Predicting and Explaining Tc and different houses of BCS Superconductors (M L Cohen)
- The Evolution of HTS: Tc-Experiment views (C W Chu)
- The Evolution of High-Temperature Superconductivity: concept point of view (E Abrahams)
- BCS past Superconductivity:
- The Superfluid levels of Liquid 3He: BCS concept (A J Leggett)
- Superfluidity in a fuel of Strongly Interacting Fermions (W Ketterle et al.)
- BCS from Nuclei and Neutron Stars to Quark topic and chilly Atoms (G Baym)
- Energy hole, Mass hole, and Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking (Y Nambu)
- BCS as beginning and idea: The Transmutation of Symmetry (F Wilczek)
- From BCS to the LHC (S Weinberg)
Readership: scholars, researchers and teachers drawn to BCS concept and its origin.
Read Online or Download BCS: 50 Years PDF
Similar science experiments & measurement books
The expression of uncertainty in dimension is a not easy point for researchers and engineers operating in instrumentation and size since it includes actual, mathematical and philosophical matters. This challenge is intensified through the constraints of the probabilistic method utilized by the present commonplace (GUM).
Ordinary fires may be regarded as scale-dependant, non-linear procedures of mass, momentum and warmth delivery, caused by a turbulent reactive and radiative fluid medium flowing over a posh medium, the vegetal gasoline. In typical outside stipulations, the experimental examine of typical fires at actual scale wishes the improvement of an unique metrology, one capable of seize the big diversity of time and size scales fascinated about its dynamic nature and in addition in a position to withstand the thermal, mechanical and chemical aggression of flames on units.
The Ore Minerals below the Microscope: An Optical consultant, moment variation, is a truly distinct colour atlas for ore/opaque minerals (ore microscopy), with a major emphasis on identify and synonyms, brief descriptions, mineral teams, chemical compositions, details on significant formation environments, optical info, mirrored image color/shade comparability with 4 common/standard minerals of an identical colour or gray color, and as much as 5 fine quality images for every mineral with scale.
An absolutely up-to-date consultant to speedy and simply programming ArduinoThoroughly revised for the hot Arduino Uno R3, this bestselling advisor explains the way to write well-crafted sketches utilizing Arduino’s changed interval. you are going to the way to configure and software program, enhance your individual sketches, paintings with integrated and customized Arduino libraries, and discover the web of Things—all with out past programming adventure required!
Extra info for BCS: 50 Years
BCS: 50 Years by Leon N Cooper,Dmitri Feldman